Many people have no idea how to pick the perfect watermelon.
My daddy thumps.
My aunt smells.
But my niece, she has the secrets. She’s actually thinking if this teaching thing doesn’t work out, she is going to become a professional watermelon picker.
So tips from a professional watermelon picker and a 2nd-grade teacher:
- Look for a webbed end: The end of the watermelon is where the flower started. This means that the bees were loving on the flowery part. The more bees, the more webbing and the sweeter the melon. A little loving makes everything better.
- Look for yellow or orange on the bottom: This is where the watermelon sat in the field and soaked up the sun. So the more yellow or orange at the bottom, the more time the farmer let it stay on the vine. Good things come to those who wait.
- Size matters: Just like Goldilocks, you need to pick a watermelon that is “juuusssttt right”. Not too big and not too small.
- Who knew there were “boy” and “girl” watermelons? Watermelon farmers do. Erian does. So an elonged watermelon is a male type. They have extra juice inside. Female watermelons are rounder in shape and are sweeter. Well, that makes sense.
- The Tail: (here’s one I really don’t know how to put eloquently) If it has a tail, it should be brown and crusty. A green tail, the little guy got picked too early. Umbilical cord jokes anyone.
- Watermelons are best eaten with family and friends. This advice never fails.
So when you have more than three watermelons to choose from, use her advice.
Looking forward to summer fun. Only one more week!
Let’s go be amazing!!